Old 01-15-2013, 05:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mandi333

Unhappy Living with a recovering alcoholic who is 7 years sober

I'm 45 years old and sober 6 and a half years. I met my partner in AA who is now sober 7 years. We began a relationship that at first was loving and natural. We moved in together after 6 months which was probably too quick however we both needed to move and it seems to make sense at the time to share a house. On reflection this was probably not the wisest move. After 2 months he began to get very critical of me and started to withdraw physically and emotionally. He blamed this on his work stresses and that I had niggled him about housework. Which I had. Last week, after saying nothing, he blew up and ended the relationship. It was like a bomb in my face. After I argued that the program teaches up to 'not run away at the slightest hint of a problem' he decided to give it another bash. However, again, no physical contact or emotional. However he has improved around the house. He is not seeking sponsorship and only attending 2 meetings a week. I'm obviously not having needs met in this relatively new relationship and don't know whether I need to run or stay and try to work it out. Practice what I preach maybe? He says he doesn't love me. Should that be enough to go? I'm unsure he knows what he feels and believe there is feeling there. I'm unsure how I feel now. Any advice from anyone whose been in a committed relationship being both in recover would be really helpful. I'm in a lot of pain over this and YES plan to go to AL ANON this weekend .