Old 01-14-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
GardenMama

Welcome, Lizwig. We are all sorry you are here but happy you found us, and it is great that you posted. It is clear from your post that you are working hard on your own recovery, and that is the only thing that will make any difference in your life. Of course you'll be thrilled if your AS is ready to get sober sooner rather than later, but as the Momma Posse here will likely tell you, taking care of yourself is the very first step towards serenity and sanity.

I am the mother of a 19-yo RAD (heroin) who has been sober since June 29. No one here can tell you what the best thing to do is regarding contact, as you probably expected we'd say, but I do know that in my experience, I have to make decisions that feels right to me, and only make a boundary when I know I can enforce it and won't waffle on it. I have been gentle with myself because learning to back-off has been painful. I have had to do it little by little, with the most painful decision having been last summer when I did not allow her to live at home when she decided to leave rehab 60 days early. That about killed me, but also made me so much stronger. Also, and you may relate to this, I had to accept the fact that other people might not understand my decision, and may question my parenting, or my anything. So part of that decision included me learning to NOT CARE what others thought of me (like what you expected on FB). It hurts at first because it is uncomfortable, but ever since, I have been able to make good progress in other areas of my life.

Whatever you decide, just make sure you are comfortable and certain with it. Over time, I have noticed, such discernment will get easier. I wish you peace and continued strength. You are clearly a strong and thoughtful person. Keep up the good work.