View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
CowgrlInTheSand

Finally, Some Honesty

My boyfriend texted me this morning that he'd been in the ER since 2:45AM. When he called me after he was released he admitted that he has a Xanax dependency. I was sad for him, but I was also relieved to finally hear that I haven't been crazy all of this time.

He said that he doesn't take it all the time, but he's taken it three times in the past two weeks and the last time he took it (last Wednesday), it was a larger than normal dose. He hasn't had any since Wednesday so he hasn't been able to sleep, has been irritable, confused and his symptoms got worse last night. He didn't know what was happening to him, but did some research and decided he needed to go to the ER. The doctors told him that Xanax is so addictive that even a large dose like that could cause what they are referring to as a "mild dependency". He was given Librium (Chlordiazepoxide) to take as his taper drug for the rest of this week.

First question, does his story sound right? Can you develop a dependency to Xanax so quickly?

Second question, do I need to tell his father? My boyfriend is a 42 year old man and he actually did say that he doesn't want to tell his family about this because it's never going to be an issue again, but I'm not so sure about that. Should I let his father (who he is close with) know what has been going on?

I'm not even going to get into all the thoughts/questions/concerns as to what the future holds with him. I don't think I've processed the magnitude of what I now know. As I mentioned in December, I was moving into my own apartment and that has since happened. We are not living together anymore.

Meeting starting in one minute. Thanks to all who read this.