View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Well, THAT was a short retirement...

Hey, guys,

Sorry to have been away so long. Retirement lasted about five minutes. (Well, four months, to be exact.)

If anyone remembers, I had applied for another "dream job" after I interviewed for one such position that I didn't get. Well, guess what? I GOT the second "dream job"--and it's WAY better than the first one I applied for!

I am working for a nonprofit doing research, case consultation, writing, and training prosecutors, others in law enforcement, and allied professionals handling crimes of violence against women. I get to travel around the country giving presentations (and there will even be a little international travel). And, just for the icing on the cake, the job pays almost what I was making before I retired (that's on top of the pension), AND I get to work from home (no move to D.C.) when I'm not traveling. I still can't believe my good fortune. I've been there since early April, and the time has flown. I am paying down my debt and still trying to get my foundation problem with my house fixed.

I'm actually working more hours than I did for my first job--mainly because there are so few distractions. I sort of miss the camaraderie of going into an office, but when the weather is lousy or traffic is bad it is very nice to have a commute that involves going upstairs (in my slippers).

In April, I am going to be a presenter at a conference in Dallas, where one of the other presenters is Lundy Bancroft! Unfortunately, some of his presentations are scheduled for the same time as mine, but I should be able to make at least one or two of them.

Hoping to stick around here for a while. I'll have to catch up with what's going on with everybody. Just wanted to say hi before I start sneaking into the threads.