Old 01-11-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
joephus

I'm taking in my addicted brother and think I may be crazy

Hey everyone. First off, I'm one of those selfish contributors that only come to these forums when I have a question or need to vent. That's bad of me, but I also do not have to deal with this stuff on a regular basis. That's about to change.

We got my homeless brother into rehab last month. He worked the program well and him & his counselor were trying to find a halfway house for him. He was doing rehab in NJ, but wanted to do a sober living arrangement in FL because that's where most of our family is, including his son. That complicated things because the NJ counselor understandably didn't have any FL contacts. Him not having insurance or income didn't help either.

One option I offered was for him to come stay with me in GA so he could have more time to find a new facility. The a-hole checked himself out a day early and got high. Of course he will not admit that he got high, but I have no doubts at all. I didn't rescind my offer and he's currently on a bus. I'm nervous, I'm excited, and I'm scared. I know better than to have any expectations and I think I'm ready for the worst while hoping for the best.

I'm giving him 3 weeks and a list of rules. If he breaks any of them he will be back on the street, only in an unfamiliar city, but at least one where the weather isn't below freezing. My #1 rule, that is the most important to me and is the one that he will have the most difficult time with is: no lying. I have zero tolerance for it and it's been a way of life for him many many years.

I just wanted to share and reintroduce myself because I'll probably be here daily for inspiration and support. And hopefully I'll leave this next phase - regardless of the outcome - with more knowledge and experience that I can use to give back.