View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Hi GT,

I enjoy a good debate. And I enjoy personal challenges. I also enjoy standing up for myself, being myself, and having every courtesy for others all the while.

I've been straight up with you in this thread offering my understanding of how I experience and choose to practice AVRT. You've since started to quote pages from RR:TNC to help you get across to me, and any readers\contributors of this thread as well, for sake of clarity as you call it, that I'm wrong in my understanding, application, and use of AVRT.

No problemo.

AVRT is a personalized educational and enlightenment experiential in-the-now technique of applied awareness to simply recognise Addictive Voice, followed by disassociating from that same AV, followed by becoming indifferent to the just previously recognised AV, followed by getting on with being abstinence and never again drinking. These are my words.

I'm not going to care much what they may not mean to you, unless you can detect some hidden AV in my words. If you can, feel free to educate me. If not, then don't even bother to tell me it may not be the exact definition found in the RR:TNC.

My Beast is a dumb instinctual survival desire drive. It is a special case of desire, born from my addiction struggles while I was actively addicted. My Beast simply wants to eat alcohol. Nothing but alcohol. It wont settle for drugs, it wants it some alcohol, lol. My Beast, being a simple desire drive, is very dumb, and very primitive. Its also very powerful, like a hunger drive, like a primal survivor drive is powerful. My Beast cannot reason. Again, my Beast cannot reason. Okay?

I do all the reasoning in me. I'm the one using my cerebral cortex. Me. And just me, okay? I don't have some other thing, or personality inside me who is also using my cerebral cortex. Its just me.

My AV exists simply because it is defined and created by my own cerebral cortex disassociation with any thought, image, idea, and feeling which possibly or certainly may lead to future drinking. My AV exists because I choose to have it exist, as a result of my successful efforts with separating (disassociating) from my AV.

My AV then, is from me, the drinker, but not from me, the non-drinker. Can my AV reason, like I do with my cerebral cortex? No, it can't. Can it create like I can? No it can't.

For me, both my Beast and my AV are as a sickness, an illness, to me. My choice to see it this way.

What can it do?

It can use whatever was available to the me that was the drinker, but it can't do that in real time, because in real time, I am now a non-drinker. As a matter of fact, my AV can only use the me that was drinking back more then 31 years ago. That's it. Period. End of story.

In fact, even if I say out loud, right now that I want to drink a cold one, my AV still cannot make use of my cerebral cortex in real time because even as I say the words, I , the me that is me, the me that is in charge, the me that has full use in real time of my cerebral cortex, that me instantly recognises the words as just more AV, and so I then disassociate, and then become indifferent to that separation, and get on with being me.

Now GT, that is the core of how I apply my AVRT, and the values I hold dear and true to me. Unless you can find some hidden AV, there is not really a place for you to continue to comment about the veracity of my results to remain sober in my continuing abstinence, or how I represent my AVRT. Like everybody else, I get to choose for myself what works for me, lol. At the end of the day, I'm just another guy sharing his experiences, yeah?

I have a few quotes too:

Originally Posted by RR:TNC pg 148
"Like a child's connect-the-dot puzzle, the Addictive Voice functions only to connect words, ideas, images, and feelings together to form a pattern -- any pattern at all -- that results in the action of drinking or using. Some connect-the-dots puzzle's are extremely simple, consisting of only two dots, and the result is a straight line. But some dot puzzles are extremely complex, with hundreds of numbered dots, and the resulting pattern is a good looking picture."- Jack Trempey
Hmmm. Not entirely unlike my scrapbook metaphor, yeah?

Originally Posted by RR:TNC pg 150
It is extremely important for you to know that you have a great advantage over your Beast. It is a worthy opponent, a strong fighter, and it will not easily give up. But your task is relatively easy compared to that of the Beast. You have something it doesn't have. You have the intelligence to recognise the Beast in all of its forms -- the thoughts, images, moods, and emotions it uses to get you to drink. That's all. Just recognise those things, and the Beast will fall silent. What choice does it have? All that it is, including its voice and its feelings, it borrows from you.-- Jack Trempey
Hmmm. Not unlike what I was saying about my AV/Beast, yeah?

Okay, so I'm thinking I'm done with explaining myself for your satisfaction, GT. Glad to have helped you out to better understand me, hopefully.

Live and let live comes to mind.