View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 09:12 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post

I chose to make drinking a moral issue for me some time ago (drinking --->impaired driving --->tragedy and death of someone's child) and that conflation, while not rigorously compelling, withers in front of my revulsion at that possibility and my sense of self. Ego is what allows me to refuse that eventuality. Ego is precisely the force I have identified as the one that supports my confidence in my ability to succeed. Ego is subjective by definition and realization, and its dynamism is my belief in myself.

I guess my understanding (which is mine) of AVRT is a simple one, it doesn't require nor does it admit these mental gymnastics. My BP lets me recognize the thoughts supported by my beast, and it does so simply because it really is an irrevocable choice. A commitment. I quit, and I mean it.
Well said, freshstart.

Ego can of course be a positive resource and endless strength of determined character has been my experience. As well, ego can also be a negative face plant right into selfishness and self-centeredness too, and this has also been my experience. Ego is essential and required for healthy quality of life. Being egotistical is of course not a healthy expression of a well rounded ego.

I don't think ego can be used as a tool in itself. Ego is much too intimate for such practical use, same as using something like honor as a means to an end would be itself dishonorable.

Ego is as ego does, and a controlled managed ego is not as healthy as a happy and free ego, is my experience.

Following my Big Plan, after having some success with living a sans-alcohol lifestyle, I did freely commit to creating a quality of life which satisfied me ongoing and moving forward. Many ways to ensure quality living are there for the taking. Life is abundant with ideal choices.

First I unconditionally quit. Then I sought a better qualified committed life which includes being sober and living in abstinence, but is not limited nor defined by just being sober. There is more under the sun then freedom from alcohol has been my wonderful realization and joy!