View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 11:33 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by Newatthis34 View Post
...This is what scares me, I know I am more than capable of understanding what the right thing to do is, yet doing the precise wrong thing - a morally inconsistent position. This is why I am wondering about the commitment question. I feel like if I commit to something, (in my use of that term in this context), I have surrendered some of my more destructive, hedonistic impulses in order to achieve something more worthwhile in the long run.
Hedonistic impulses -- ie that pleasure and pleasure seeking is the only intrinsic good -- can be themselves moderated; they can not be otherwise reasoned away however, because pleasure surely can often enough supercede reason, hahaha.

Moderation requires conditions being accepted as terms of the moderaqtion process. Those same conditions, if they involve any suggestion of future drinking, are by AVRT definition, those conditions are pure AV.

Being AV, they cannot successfully be attached to any proper Big Plan to quit drinking. The can be of course illuminated by the Big Plan as being AV, and in this way those conditions can be met and recognised, then dissociated with, and in that way the conditions of the original committment to have something more worthwhile in the long run can be brought to a productive realization.

WOW.

Still though, the BP does not need condtions of committment to be successful in bringing AV out of the darkness. Nothing says though that comittments of a personal nature can't be made for the quality of life that will be experienced while being in abstinence AFTER the creation of a BP

So, I have many such committments for a better life, which have nothing to do per se with my former addictive lifestyle. I can make this committments as I will or wish, because they are conditional on my continuing abstinence, and not on my originally quitting alcohol while I still suffered and struggled with addiction ambivalance.