Old 01-08-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
auden67

Allen Carr has a book, "The Easyway to Stop Drinking" talks a lot about the brainwashing we absorb in romanticizing drinking. The book is designed to poke holes in a lot of our conditioned thinking about drinking: we need it to be cool, we need it to be sociable, we need it to be creative, etc. Basically, it's all advertising combined with the effects of alcohol, and we ignore real and concerning effects to justify its use. The book is not without its flaws, but it's a good place to start to break down those feelings that you will be missing out on something important.

As a writing professional, I can guarantee you your drinking does not help the writing process. Maybe in short bursts, but in the long run it stifles creativity, discipline and output. As the key to good writing is often sustained, practiced craft, you can understand how a hangover and a nightly drinking ritual could derail efforts.

I quit drinking before I hit any sort of bottom (or as you point out, narrowly escape previous ones) and you certainly don't need that to want a better life for yourself. Seriously, drinking culture is largely brainwashing. Do a search of sober artists and you will be amazed at the strong individuals whose careers blossomed in sobriety.

Good luck, you can do this! You will be amazed at your strength. Don't worry about long-term, just focus on today.