View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
paul99
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by bbthumper View Post
There seems to be a common misunderstanding among outsiders of AA that by joining the fellowship you are doomed to a life of being "powerless" or weak. The whole idea of the program is the exact opposite. Nowhere in the book does it say we remain powerless.
There is misunderstanding of this in the rooms as well.

I often hear someone share that they are "powerless over everything", or "powerless over people, places and things". And some bemoan the feeling of being a victim, in some way. For me, powerlessness only applies to alcohol. I have now plugged into the greatest power source out there, and it imbues me with power that allows me to do things that I never could before. I have the power to do good and right things. I have the power to help those that come into my path. I have the power to share with others. I am no longer stricken with a hundred forms of fear. I am no longer victim to what prisons I create for myself. I am free. I couldn't have any of that under my own power.

As for people places and things. I cannot control what people think, speak or act. Nor can I change a place or some object. But I certainly have power over how I react to these things, and in that regard, I do have power regarding them. With God's power working through and in me, I don't have "triggers" - I can go wherever I please without worry, I can be with someone who in the past would have disturbed me greatly but now I have love and tolerance for, and I have no attachment to things as to have them a Higher Power.

I can only imagine what a newcomer would think if all they heard was how powerless we all were over everything. I know if I heard that, I may have had second thoughts about the program.

Great post.