View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
TrixMixer

Originally Posted by Dorris View Post
I know nobody can give medical advice but I know I am suffering depression and anxiety and have thought about going to the doctors for meds but fear the side effects and maybe never coming off them.

Now I'm trying to quit alcohol I'm seem to be even more depressed so my question is do you think I should hold off a few more weeks and see if my mood improves without alcohol or maybe I should see the doctor for some medication.

I am seeing a councillor once every two weeks and when the children return to school next week I was going to try some yoga classes.
Hi Dorris,

You sound as if you have a pretty good handle on your plan for recovery, especially since it includes seeing a counciler once every 2 weeks.

That is exactly how I started and it was the best thing for me in the beginning, not AA.

I am on antidepressants and will be until the day I die. I detoxed without them though, because in 1985 when I got sober the "self-medicating" affect of Alcohol and its connection to mental disorders was just beginning to come into play. Although I did not have the DT's I will say that I lost some 20 lbs--I looked like a skeleton, and I did have thoughts of hoplessness and actually suicide.

My councelor suggested depression might have been the underlying cause for my self-medicating with alcohol and getting addicted. Long story short stopped drinking for a month before getting medication. It was the best thing I ever did. If you have a councelor they will work with your GP in finding what meds might work for you. Don't be surprised if you need to try a few. Everyone has their own specific med needs. I have been sober for 25 years and on antidepressants the whole time, and have NEVER been happier.

I truly believe Alcoholics have underlying issues that if addressed initially might save them from years of using alcohol to medicate themselves.
For me that was certainly true. I have a chemical imbalance in my neurotransmitters of the brain, and if I go off my meds the anxiety is cripeling.

Your councilor will be your guide as to weather to take them while you detox or after. You are in good hands.

Good luck in pursuit of a balanced life .