Thread: AA Struggler
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sie

Originally Posted by mfanch View Post
Same here. AA is all about changing my beliefs. Of course the Steps didn't relate to me at all. I don't know anyone who relates to them when they first see them. My sponsor told me to stop thinking and and start doing. She said I didn't have to like it. I am still an atheist and AA worked for me because I stopped judging everything before doing it.

Also, going to meetings only and not working the steps is called a 'free ride'. It looks like the real thing and it provides a false sense of security, but the spiritual changes don't occur, and the person drinks again, in my experience. (as a person who did this for years)

There are other recovery methods out there. AA is only one of many. Good luck on your search!

Hi... As i said, I started the steps, but just felt a fraud... I couldnt continue with them as i could not relate the steps to a god or higher power.

There were times when I thought the steps were doing me more harm than good and i started to get anxious and angry with myself for not finding a higher power. i felt a failure.

I have nothing against AA or the steps, and i am truely truely happy that they work for some.

Thanks all for your feedback.

Sie