Thread: AA Struggler
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
mfanch
Recovered

Originally Posted by Sie View Post
Hi All,

I've been sober just over a year, and attended AA for the first few months of that.

I have always struggled with AA, not the people they are lovely, just the whole 12 step thing.

I did upto step 3, but at that point I felt a fraud for going any further as they really didn't relate to my beleives ...

I heard in a meeting once, that you are considered a 'dry drunk' (I hate that expression) if you are not a 12 stepper, and would love to know other people's view here who are not follwing the program.

Thanks all...
Same here. AA is all about changing my beliefs. Of course the Steps didn't relate to me at all. I don't know anyone who relates to them when they first see them. My sponsor told me to stop thinking and and start doing. She said I didn't have to like it. I am still an atheist and AA worked for me because I stopped judging everything before doing it.

Also, going to meetings only and not working the steps is called a 'free ride'. It looks like the real thing and it provides a false sense of security, but the spiritual changes don't occur, and the person drinks again, in my experience. (as a person who did this for years)

There are other recovery methods out there. AA is only one of many. Good luck on your search!