View Single Post
Old 01-01-2013, 06:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Xune

For me it was an acceptance that I had a severe drinking problem. ( Over time, I accepted that I was an addict.)

I then accepted that the only solution to my addiction was to stop drinking.

I accepted that I would never drink alcohol again.

I read books about addiction, specifically and most importantly `Sober for Good`and an autobiography 'America on Purpose'.

I told my wife and my Doctor. I told my wife, should I ever drink again, she is to take the kids and leave me...no second chances. If I drink again, it is a clear signal that I have chosen booze over my family.

I see a Psychologist with a back ground in dealing with addicts.

I keep myself honest about my addiction by frequenting this forum.

It was not good enough for me to hope I was sucessful in my efforts, rather I had to have certainty in my recovery.

Alcohol is no longer an option for me and quite honestly, I do not have to worry about ruining any progress I have made, as I simply will never have a first alcoholic drink again...ever.

For me, it was more than just stopping drinking, it was a complete revolution of my life...which is still in progress.

I have an alcohol dependency that is in early remission and I look forward to the day, July 4 2013, when I can identify as having an addiction in long term remission.

I wish you well in the choices you make.