View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 07:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
zoso77
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
There Are Worse Things Than Being Alone

Went out to dinner with my best friend, his wife, and his daughter this evening. New Years Eve for someone my age isn't about going to a party anymore. For me, it's about taking stock of how the year went.

The biggest takeaway for me is there are worse things than being alone, and by being alone, I mean not having a romantic partner. And that's being with an addict that's either using or is not in recovery.

The biggest difference between 2011 and 2012, i.e. with the addict and after the addict, is life after the addict was incredibly peaceful. There were no more arguments. No more attempts to manipulate me. No more suicide threats. All the drama that came with the addict left with the addict. And what I've learned is there's nothing wrong with not dating when you've got your life prioritized such that you don't have the emotional capital to spend.

So, I'm alone, but I'm not lonely. I'm very fortunate that I have very good friends and very good colleagues that have supported me through thick and thin. And this holiday season came and went like I hoped it would: without drama, pressure, and headaches.

At any rate...if there's anyone out there tonight that's feeling nostalgic about times gone by and looking to reconnect with a sick person, ask yourself what's really waiting for you on the other side of that door. Because what's likely waiting for you is the same stuff that caused you to put distance between you and them in the first place.

Be Safe, and Happy New Year...

ZoSo