View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 07:08 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
lizatola

Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
It's all about control. He wants you to home school because it keeps you dependent on him. He wants you to think he will never settle for divorce to convince you to give up this crazy talk of independence. It's just plain sick. He regards you as a possession, not a partner.
I've thought that before, too. He made a comment while with the marriage therapist the other day that he felt used for his money and that all he was good for was providing a paycheck. Yet, a minutes later he insinuated that I should give him s*x because he pays for our bills and the house, etc. So, in my mind that makes me nothing more than a prostitute. Yet, he's also said that if I get a job outside the house, then our marriage will be over for sure. So, I always feel trapped by his words. I had thought early on that I was in a reciprocal marriage, that we made decisions together for the betterment of our family. The decision to homeschool was a mutual agreement, and he was the one who wanted me to come home from work and who was proud of himself for having a wife who was a SAHM(stay at home mom). Anyway, the way I see it is that I'm da*ned if I do, and I'm da*ned if I don't. Seems to be a common thread for us.

I never really recognized the possession vs partner issue, but I guess I can see it now. Maybe it wasn't like that in the beginning years but it's evolved into this as he slips deeper into denial and into his illness.