View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 09:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering2

I can only share my experience. My AB did not want me to be different because of him, would even buy my drink if we were out with others. Told me he was fine with that. But also admitted he struggled being around alcohol, would avoid certain functions. Left me confused.

I have learned that I have to always make sure I'm not totally focused on him, that his recovery is his responsibility. But I also looked at my own relationship with alcohol, how much does it really matter in my life? For me, it doesn't. So in order to support his sobriety, I made the personal decision to stop drinking. The key was letting him know it was my decision, and then never making an issue of it. I found that when we are out together, it makes us stronger as a couple to have a great time sans alcohol. No one has ever questioned why we're not drinking. Of course, we're vegetarians, so friends already think we're strange! I think when alcoholics have a lot of sober time under their belt, it may get easier, but when it's still early and a struggle...the less exposure the better.

Just my opinion based on my experience. But you have to do what is right for you. Otherwise, it will be like his ex. If you do it only for him, resentment can grow, and it won't work in the end.

I wish you the very best. You will get a lot of great support on this site.