View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 01:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
doggonecarl
Canine Welfare Advocate

To My fellow SR Members...

I post here a fair amount, mostly replies. I don’t start a lot of threads. Thought it was time for one. There has been a little more contention than usual on the boards, more ruffled feathers it seems. I tend to forget how sensitive emotions are in the newly recovered, how easy feelings are hurt. So I’ve been reflecting about the tone of my posts and trying to determine if I’m in any way contributing to the disharmony.

Probably. I’ve been sober over two years and at times can be quite self-righteous about my recovery and defensive of the path I’ve taken to attain it. That has to carry over to my replies. Still, with almost 2000 posts, I only regret hitting submit on a handful of them. That doesn’t mean I can’t do better, so I want to apologize for following reasons:

I am only an expert in my own recovery. However, that hasn’t prevented me from trying to be an expert in yours.

For that, I’m sorry.

Writing on a forum is a very one-sided form of communication, fraught with misinterpretation. What is written as an admonishment is often read as a reprimand. There is also a thin line between advice and criticism and I blunder over it all the time.

For that, I’m sorry.

When I drank I always thought I was the smartest drunk in the room. That appears to still be my failing. Because even though I post to help other people in recovery, too often I post to impress myself with my own brilliance. That’s not likely to help your recovery.

For that, I’m sorry.

But I’m not sorry about the time I devote to SR. It’s fulfilling to me to think that in some small measure I am helping someone. And coming here helps me stay on the path of sobriety.

For that, I'm thankful.