Thread: Need advice!
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 09:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
COAlpha

HEy guys,

Thank you all for the responses.

I should have clarified that I no longer live in a fraternity house. I moved into a house with a few of my best friends, as I am a senior. They haven't changed much though. They all still drink 4-5 nights a week.

The problem that I have is that I've tried many, many times to go out and do the things I would normally have done. I have been sober a long time, and it hasn't gotten any easier. I find myself getting butterflies and major anxiety at parties because all I can do is stare at the shots or the glasses of wine or the red solo cups filled with keg beer and think about how much I just want to have one drink. It becomes so unbearably uncomfortable that I have to leave most of the time.

Not to mention the fact that I am always the only sober person there. Being sober surrounded by drunk idiots, while motivation in its own sense, just makes me feel isolated. I guess I'm not quite at the point yet where I can be comfortable in those situations.

I eat extremely healthy and quite a lot. I replaced my alcohol addiction with a gym addition. I go to the gym and lift weights every day. I look and feel great. Just yesterday I bench pressed 345 lbs for the first time. I've always been an athlete, and most of the time I use the excuse "No I can't drink tonight I have to go to the gym early tomorrow".

How did some of you other sober folks learn to be surrounded by alcohol without freaking out?