View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 11:43 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Thumper

Dr. Suess quote that used to be in my siggy - “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”

Originally Posted by PohsFriend View Post
For someone just starting to ask questions and learn about the disease and their own issues it's rough to hear the 'simple' answers to complex questions. No offense NYC but if this **** were that simple we would not be here and it probably wasn't simple to you 2300 posts ago

I get it - but yeesh we can be a little more gentle
Oh I don't know. I also used to cry in the shower and actually say a prayer that my ex would hit me or cheat on me. Imagine that? I'm ashamed to say that but it is the truth. I would sometimes fantasize about his funeral. Not killing him I wasn't mad, but his funeral. So I'd be free. I was trapped, not because of finances or where I lived or even fear of being alone. I was quite sure my life would be easier in most ways if we went or separate aways. I was very very trapped by my co-dependency. I was trapped because I was emotionally enmeshed, which is a different thing from love. I really did not see a way out of the nightmare my life had become.

The thing is I'm not sure abuse or cheating would have set me free anyway. I had put it there as a hard boundary but all my other boundaries bent and crumbled so why wouldn't those? I finally got to the point where I put drinking as my 'escape' and then he ran off to rehab and I was more mad and hateful about him being sober than I was about him being drunk. Trapped again. But I was not trapped - a lot of people told me exactly what NYC did (probably she did - should go back and look), and it was exactly what I needed to hear.

For those people trapped in a situation that makes them unhappy - the questions get very complicated but the answer remains very simply. Open the door and walk out.

With a little distance I can also agree with her sentiment that I wasn't doing my ex any favors either. See - while I did not drink, yell at, nag, or even argue with my ex - I'm quite sure he carries significant scars of his own. He spent years with a woman that resented him, herself, that was detached, emotionally unavailable to him, and desperately unhappy. I robbed him of those years just as much as I robbed myself.