View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
doggonecarl
Canine Welfare Advocate

I remember my last relapse was a clear and conscious decision to drink. Afterwards I realized the insanity of the decision and decided that as an alcoholic, I can never make a clear and conscious decision about drinking. Ever!

I wrote down my decision to quit and my "vow" to never drink again and looked at it many, many times a day as a reminder. I guess is served as some sort of amulet against the evils of alcohol. Perhaps you can create an amulet or ******** of your own, say with an AA chip or religious medal.

I would also say, tell your family you don't drink anymore and, regardless of what they think about your problem, ask that they support that decision and not encourage you to drink, or else you will be skipping holiday events.

Of course, it is easy for me to say that; it is much harder for you to carry out in reality. Still, it seems there are a tremendous amounts of "slips" during the holidays because the person seeking recovery is afraid to offend family and friends by skipping events that trigger drinking. As if their drinking isn't offensive.