View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 06:18 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  
cali224

Hi All,
I'm jumping in - same story as all of you. I have been taking opiates for five years, my habit was pretty mild for the first 4, then I had some personal tragedies and in the last year it doubled, tripled, up to about 150mgs of oxy a few days, most more like 100-120. I had tried to taper a few times while also drinking excessively - then this amazing blessing happened - I got CRAZY sick. I think it was food poisoning? I could not keep down ANYTHING (I swallowed a few pills) but all of a sudden, I am 4 days off of alcohol (feels great!) and down to 70-80mgs of oxy. I am no longer getting high, I am waiting until I get wd's (or wake up with crazy anxiety) and take a low dose to get back to life. I know most people cannot taper, but I have this strange resolve. I have plenty of pills in my possession and I have been sticking to as little as I can bear. I think the alcohol has A LOT to do with my will power - I remember often thinking "Whatever, what's a few more pills?" I know cutting down like 40% is sudden and severe, I feel remotely sick all day, but the sick feeling is what's motivating me sort of (sounds strange, let me try to explain Its like a constant low grade reminder "Take this low grade, constant feeling, or get ready for a few weeks of hell." I am resolved to taper and I no longer WANT to take them or get high (I have had a few minutes, but I go to meetings, call people, and make myself wait - success so far.)

My question for you guys is - I cannot AFFORD to do this anymore - I started out with prescriptions a long time ago but moved past those. So with my resolve to taper, I am thinking of telling my doctor and asking him to prescribe (and regulate/help) me taper. (SOONERS - how did you do it!?) I am prescribed xanax and fioricet for actual problems I have, and I am concerned my doc will take those away from me if I fess up to the oxy. I need them both and I do not abuse either one -(I don't understand HOW people "like" xanax - one pill and I'm passed out in my airplane seat - not really my idea of "fun.") I was going to jump CT but I know if I CAN taper, it will be much easier at the end - I don't see my doc very often, I have had him for a few years, the occasional physical, all is normal, and he refills my 2x scrips as needed but not often... Thoughts?
(*Side note: I have been sitting on my hands at meetings because I am so EXCITED and INSPIRED by being off the alcohol - I want to say "4 DAYS!" but I"m not truly "clean," and being in this weird half-way limbo makes me want it that much more, I can see the light and the relief.)