View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Reed30

I just read your post that was bumped up. It actually is helping me with a hard decision i just made a few months. I broke up with my EXABF. But with me, I didn't know he was using the whole time we were together (a little over a year and a half). Found out bc he got arrested, so he had to tell me. He told me he was addicted to pain meds-snorted them then went to injected. Did heroin and coke. He even sold. I had no clue. I'm 30 as well, this was the love of my life...had all those qualities that you stated in your post about your guy. Looking back he lied sooo much to me, and everything makes sense now. all the behavior, the moods etc. I always thought and believed it was bc of his SA. at least i was led to believe it was.

Well, my point is I have felt so guilty for leaving him, He is in recovery now doing the 'right' things, But reading your recent post and so many on SR, I have come to realize that these addicts will never keep as us number one in the relationship. We can't be. Either its the drugs or its recovery.

IMO I don't even think you should even give him a year. Why? Why should you live your life for him. What about what you need in a relationship? These addicts that were or are in our lives, aren't horrible human beings, we did/do Love them for a reason. BUT it doesn't mean that we have to sacrifice our lives, We only get one and there are plenty of healthy ppl out that will truly respect us and be our rock and put us as their #1 ALWAYS. You deserve that.
I cried a lot yesterday for my ex. again, the guilt. what if he is unlike others and truly will battles this addiction. but then I tell myself, do I want to spend my life worrying and always questioning him? I ask you the same question. The things that led him to addiction will always be there. Therapy and Rehab will help, but only so much. The addicts must apply these tools to their lives each and every day.....just takes a moment for them to go back.

Think about what its been like and what YOU WANT in a relationship. None of us can decide for you. But I think you are a strong person and you deserve to be happy. I wish you the best.