Old 12-11-2012, 06:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MIRecovery
A Day at a Time

I am an expert in things I know nothing about

I am a big fan of AA and AVRT. I have spent a lot of time and effort becoming familiar with both and can speak intelligently about their respect merits (at least from my perspective.) I know very little about SMART and various other methods so I do not comment on them.

Time and time again especially with AA people say, "AA is not for them" but they have never been to a meeting, never read the big book, never had an in-depth discussion with an AA member, never worked the steps, never had a sponsor.

We are dealing with a fatal illness which to me is like saying, " I know nothing about heart disease but diet and exercise is not going to work for me because Aunt Gertrude ran five miles a day and died of a heart attack." Or "My legs hurt when I ran so I stopped running."

AA and AVRT are not the only ways but before you dismiss them or any others do your homework, do intensive research, give them an honest try your very life depends on it.

Logic would dictate that if what you are doing is not working then thoroughly investigate the alternatives and make an intelligent and informed decision.