View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 03:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Db1105

Originally Posted by SixYearsSober View Post
Please help. I belong to an AA group where there is a lot of long-term sobriety, and it seems to me (although I have difficulty distinguishing the true from the false) that these is more emphasis placed on "sounding good" than on telling the truth. I have many times sat next to people who, after sharing, whispered to me "Did I sound OK?" I was present at a meeting where we were discussing turning to AA in times of need, and a young woman was asked if she always turned to AA and her answer was basically "yes, and as a result, since my first year I've been more or less OK". Everyone in that room knew that she only has a few years of sobriety, and she quit coming to AA at all for over a year, and the only reason she came back was because she started dating (and, a year later, married) a member of the group and no one said anything. Recently, a woman of almost three years of sobriety made amends to the group because she had been smoking pot every day and no one seemed to care; everyone just gave her kudos on being honest. This woman had taken others through the work, and always went on and on about how great her program was. . . and she still does, post-amend. I don't care about the pot-smoking, but I do care that someone's sitting there saying that they're doing great because they're working the program and the program works when they're stoned . . . it's harmful to the new person and to anyone sitting in the room that isn't doing so well. I had wondered many times when this person was sharing what the hell was wrong with me that I had more sobriety but wasn't so happy and fulfilled all the time. On Thursday night, a member of the group was found dead of a heroin overdose. He had almost 20 years of sobriety, and NO ONE would have suspected him of drug use. I feel that if he had been able to tell someone what he was up to, he wouldn't have had to die. I want to bring this to the group's attention, but I'm not sure how. Specifically, can anyone think of a proposal to bring to group conscious that addresses the issue of honesty? Thank you!
It's not a group issue, it's an issue between the the individual and their Higher Power. We can only carry the message.. That is that we must turn our lives over to our Higher Power via working The Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous. It hurts and is tough to see someone die from the disease after a long term of abstinence. Honesty is only part of recovery. If I don't work and live The Twelve Steps, I will drink again.