View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 11:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
GerandTwine
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post
Hi. I'm after some advice.
My H and I gave up drinking together 6 months ago. ...
Our relationship is so much better, we laugh a lot, we appreciate what we have and things between us are great.
But....we are following very different paths. I'm in AA and its working well for me. I've fully accepted I'm an alcoholic. He is supportive but not interested in going to meetings himself. ...
He has never admitted being an alcoholic. He appears to have just replaced his addiction to alcohol with spending money on things he doesn't need, binge eating, compulsive behaviour.
Not admitting to being an alcoholic is not a bad thing. People who stay quit on their own like myself often believe that those who endlessly need recovery groups (and/or SR) to keep from drinking have a sort of compulsion of their own. It sounds like he has accepted your need for meetings and time on SR, but at some point he may logically wonder whether you really do need all that any more to keep yourself from drinking.

He is very single minded and his determination to stick to his statement that he won't drink again has seen him through this far. But he hasn't the tools to help himself. He is strong and I'm proud of him.
I am really ignorant as to other recovery methods there are out there.
How can I help him?
It's quite likely that it's not a "recovery method" that he "needs". If he's promised you he won't drink again, then he's done it the AVRT way and he may benefit some from the book that Robby mentioned above, or if he were to check out the rational.org website; but outside of that, I would guess any other recovery programming would be counterproductive. On the other hand, counseling from a non-recovery-program-focused therapist could give him some useful feedback.

My last tidbit of advice is you might try doing things together outside the home that have nothing to do with "recovery" or "other people in recovery".