View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 11:21 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
GerandTwine
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by applecake View Post
Being able to recognize and separate out the AV does make me feel much better about myself and whatever crazy cravings pop up.

My fear with this approach has been that one time when I won't be able to recognize AV, which is why I've tried to anticipate potential scenarios. What is the saying? Forewarned is forearmed?
For me, the Big Plan took away that fear of not recognizing the AV. Even right now, as I "anticipate potential scenarios", the Big Plan actually delivers a double barreled whammy to the Beast and its AV.

First barrel - I know I cannot retract my Big Plan and my Beast knows it, too. End of story.

Second barrel - When I think maybe I'm not sure if some thought or feeling is my AV, all I have to do to find out is repeat the Big Plan slowly to myself - "I ... will ... never ... drink ... again!" and it invariably flushes out the AV from the rest of me. It's like putting on infra-red goggles to light up the heat sources in darkness. Yep, there it is. One particular type of AV is the lack of confidence at being successful with a Big Plan. Yep, there it is.

When I quit for good, the loss of that unique deep pleasure of drinking alcohol created a set of emotions, thoughts, and dreams that fit the description of a grief response. There was a visceral sadness of death there in the background that occasionally attempted a resurrection, but I had experimented enough to know this time there was NO going back.

When I would wake up from drinking dreams about a year or two after quitting, I would remember things as I slowly woke up that I could not access any other way. That made me realize there was a whole bank of memories inside my head that was fading away. As a binge drinker, the whole thirteen year long life of altered-state-me had been running parallel to the unaltered-state-me, and IT was dying and I was experiencing IT dying, but I refused to resurrect IT.

While I remember a lot of emotions and self-talk around "anticipating potential drinking scenarios" soon after quitting, it didn't take too long before I was able to immediately shoot them all down within seconds of their coming to mind, and today I find it laughable that my Beast of booze/drugs could ever gain a foothold in my thinking.