View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 09:57 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
applecake

Originally Posted by oakwood View Post
I'll cut you some slack, applecake, for sure.
I do know one thing, though. I will be hesitant to post much detail about any failures or doubts in the future, since clearly they are all AV, not part of AVRT, and may be subject to nit-picking. Now I understand why there isn't much in-depth discussion on this forum about what happens when one fails.
I'm sorry, oakwood. If it helps, I was throttled in the chatroom by two AA folks yesterday morning. Never saw it coming, since I wasn't discussing RR or AVRT or even AA.

I think the disconnect here is that this is a pretty cerebral place on this site. I'm learning a lot, but I don't have the emotional energy to really sink in and be academic yet, much less engage in debate. In fact, I'm on leave from grad school. I'm still exhausted. I do know, though, that I have a tendency to be far harder on myself than anyone else, and I need to just learn to be comfortable in my own skin. Being able to recognize and separate out the AV does make me feel much better about myself and whatever crazy cravings pop up.

My fear with this approach has been that one time when I won't be able to recognize AV, which is why I've tried to anticipate potential scenarios. What is the saying? Forewarned is forearmed? It doesn't feel very good, but I do think the analyses of comments by the veterans is helpful in learning to see subtle AV. These discussions kind of remind me of discussions in the public choice or political economy subfields within political science. Very rational--but spirited!