Thread: Hi again
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
ShootingStar1

I have this image of a bizarre road race going on, with you driving slowly and steadily straight down the center line like an arrow, and broken down and old beaten up race cars, in crazy flourescent colors like fuschia and orange and lime green with chipped paint and broken bumpers, are zooming in and out and around you in crazy dizzying patterns, almost hitting you, but not quite. And you just keep on driving, straight as an arrow, and there is a finish line up ahead.

Yes, my family of origin has been just as crazy as yours. (And in this case, your family of origin just about equals the whole community.) When they let the basement of their summer house fill with water and stand that way for years, eventually the bedroom floor rotted out and they were still sleeping in the room until the carpenter absolutely refused to even walk on that floor. And when mushrooms as big as portabellos grew out of the kitchen walls, they bought paneling and covered them over. And my dad was a big executive with 1000 people reporting to him, so it wasn't that they didn't know better. They were just crazy. There was lots worse, but I don't want to say it publically. God's honest truth, all this and more happened.

My psychiatrist says that when functional people try to leave dysfunctional family systems, the family has "rubber walls" that bounce you back in when you try to leave. They can't bear losing a player to whom they've assigned a major role.

My best friend, years ago when my family was acting out the worst, gave me the strangest little air plant, its tiny "pot" attached to a magnet. She told me to attach it to my refrigerator where I would see it often. She told me it was my "bizarre" plant, and whenever I doubted who was insane, and thought it might be me, I should just look at that plant, and remember that it was their behavior that was bizarre.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk more privately. Sometimes we need someone to talk to without the possibility of being "overheard", especially on the internet. I'm sure many others here on SR would feel the same about you contacting them directly.

ShootingStar1