Thread: New to AVRT
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
onlythetruth
Member of SMART Recovery

DejaVu2:

Let me begin by making clear that I do not consider myself any sort of expert on AVRT. I am someone who stumbled across some of the basic truths of AVRT without knowing it or reading a thing.

What happened with me, is that after years of drinking and the all the nastiness that brings, I suddenly (after a nasty episode) "got" that I simply could not drink again, ever. And I made what I now know is the Big Plan: I told myself I was never going to drink again, period.

With that line in the sand, so to speak, it was easy to recognize the AV (although I didn't call it that). Any thought that I could or should drink was AV. Very simple. And very simple to deal with. It was clear that there was no point in arguing with it or engaging with such thoughts in any way. Such thoughts were to be ignored.

At first the thoughts came often and in sneaky ways, but no matter how often or now sneaky, with the decision made, the AV was simple to recognize and ignore and its power over me faded pretty quickly. It did not "go away" and never will, as it is part of me.... but it has no power.

It's been quite a few years since that time. I've done lots of things to improve my physical and mental health since then: various self-help programs, lifestyle changes, and serious professional therapy, and I've built myself a darn good life (if I do say so myself). But it all started with that simple, basic recognition that drinking was NEVER going to be an option.

As far as you being the conduit for this information to your husband? Frankly I do not think it matters how recovery ideas are transmitted as long as it works for the individual with the addiction. One thing I have learned is that there is NOT a "right" way to do any of this. There isn't an approach, philosophy, or method of transmission that is universally right or wrong. The reality is, though, that everyone here has found it helpful to communicate with others who understand first hand what it is like to be addicted. For us, it HAS been helpful (so much so for me, that I still hang around places like this trying to help others). So please don't take it the wrong way that our own experience tells us that this might be helpful for your husband as well. That is really all we mean, and we truly are are trying to help.