Thread: New to AVRT
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by DejaVu2 View Post
Maybe because I can't put the technique to work in my own mind I'm having a difficult time seeing the "poof" effect of the monster's AV. People explain that it's a simple observation and the AV shuts up. I suppose if they say it works that way in their mind that there's something to it. I just feel like this thing is powerful, how could something so simple just make it shut up after being looked at for what it is?

-Not picking apart the technique or am I any way against it, just trying to understand the best I can.
Hi again.

Have no concerns for how you wish to examine AVRT. It will hold up under all conditions, and likewise, all inquiries.

Let's look at basic definitions, which can be found in Part I of the AVRT thread:
Originally Posted by Terminally Unique

Addiction:
Addiction is chemical use or dependence that exists against one's own better judgment, and persists in spite of efforts to control or eliminate the use of the substance. Addiction exists only in a state of ambivalence, in which one strongly wants to continue drinking alcohol or using other drugs, but also wants to quit or at least reduce the painful consequences.
Addictive Voice:
  1. Any thinking, mental image, or feeling that supports, or even suggests, your future use of alcohol or drugs.
  2. An expression of the appetite for pleasure induced by alcohol or drugs, or the Beast.
Beast:
  1. The desire to get high, to drink or use drugs.
  2. Addictive desire. Often used synonymously with "Addictive Voice," but more accurately, the appetite or desire for substance-induced pleasure.
  3. The Addictive Voice is to the Beast what a bark is to a dog.
Big Plan:
A transcending personal commitment to unconditional, permanent abstinence. The reasons for making a Big Plan can vary between individuals.
Recovery:
Secure, permanent abstinence. Nothing else.
I've been using AVRT for many years, and defeating or otherwise "shutting up" my AV has never been a goal. AV is completely normal thinking in my mind as a process. It takes skill, therefore, and techniques as well, to recognise my AV from my other thoughts. To attempt to shutup my AV would be the same as dumbing myself down to the point of stupidity, and this is of course why it always fails to purposefully attempt to shutup my AV.

It's all in the recognition. So, some persons recognise more AV then do some others. Not everybody will admit, or can descern, how advanced and entrenched their AV has become in their thoughts.

Ex:

I want a drink -- this is AV
I don't want a drink -- not AV

I dont want a drink for the next two weeks -- this is AV
I don't want to drink today, or any day -- this is not AV

I'm tired of fighting against the Beast -- this is AV
I've beaten the Beast! I can't hear any AV -- this is AV
@#%$&^ this crap! -- this is AV

I can feel my Beast hurt for alcohol and drugs -- this is not AV
I can hear my AV talking to me -- this is not AV
I can be secure and calm, knowing my Beast and my AV are doing their own thing, while I'm doing mine. I have separated from them both. I am free of their addictive desires, and addictive thoughts. I have knowledge of them, but I am free of them, now, today, and always -- this is not AV

So...

Pretty clear, that shutting down AV is as useless has stopping all your thoughts. In fact, it is only in hearing our AV that we have opportunity to recognise our AV.

I'm indifferent to my AV and my Beast. It's like this: we have on this planet enough nukes to blow us all to nothingness. There are forces of war which would like nothing better. And meanwhile there are forces for peace which will not allow such a horror to come to be.

So, we can worry ourselves that the sky is falling, or we can become indifferent to our fears, get on the peace side of things, and join in with the side of prevention.

It's all about quality of life.

My AV is pretty well totally recognised by me, and my indifference to it's useless suggestions to drink and drug are rather pathetic and entirely selishly stupid. My Beast has hurt for alcohol now longer than 31 years. It will continue to hurt for the rest of my natural life. I couldn't care any less for its hurts and trials, lol. I'm completely indifferent to its sufferings. Not ignorant. Not arrogant. Just indifferent.

After this many years, I'm doing AVRT like its effortless... and it is, really, that easy, and has been that easy for decades now.

So, once again, I don't attempt to shutup my AV. I always just recognise it, and move on with my thinking.

I have no comment for those who practice AVRT proper, and yet say they don't have AV, or they successfully shut up their AV, except perhaps to say the thing about AVRT is its all in the recognition, and some people only see what they want to see, no matter what else is going on with themselves.