View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lizatola

Antidepressants and the alcoholic

My AH has been surprisingly NORMAL for about the past week or so. He now speaks to me in sentences instead of one word answers, he's cracking his normal jokes, he's communicating with our son and ragging on him in silly ways, etc. It's very surreal and yet, confusing for me because I don't know which way to turn or what could possibly be coming next. It's always been a course of ups and downs with him for years so I am still on guard, of course.

Anyway, he's been on 2 antidepressants for the past 15 months. I've noticed in the past that he sometimes doesn't take his meds but honestly I haven't been paying attention in the last few months or so because I've given him over to my HP and I don't have time to monitor his medication in the first place. I noticed that he is now taking his meds, visibly taking them in the front of me so I see. I hadn't noticed (or seen) him take his meds in quite a while.

I was doing my own speculating as I try to figure out his newfound amiable personality, and wonder if the meds have something to do with this. When I was with my therapist last week she told me that my AH may not be a full blown alcoholic(yet) but she believes that he has personality disorders out the wazoo, LOL. Based on what I've told her, she feels that he's paranoid, narcissistic, a bit of antisocial in there, and obsessive compulsive. She said that he really needs to get evaluated by a reputable psychologist and get a real diagnosis because personality disorders are the hardest to treat. Unfortunately, many PD people(especially narcissists) don't feel they have a problem and therefore don't need a diagnosis. She wants to see me give my AH an ultimatum: get a diagnosis, get help for it, or get out.

So, now that AH is acting normal, I don't know what to think. It's been a good week. He's helped out in the kitchen, offered his help with groceries, cleaned up after himself, been absolutely lovely in other ways and I'm sitting here scratching my head doing freaking detective work. There has never been consistency while living with him, and I feel so very on edge. Anyway, these were just some thoughts I had as I try to enjoy the peace and friendliness of my home again.