View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ISOHumility

Question for parents of kids with ADHD

Something upsetting happened tonight, and anyone with kids with ADHD, perhaps you could weigh in?

My son was at a girl's house, with parental supervision. The parents were upstairs, they were in the family room downstairs. They got caught in a petting session. The dad announced he was going to take my son home. My son was so frightened that he ran away. We got a call from a Sunoco station five minutes from the girl's home. I knew her must be frantic with worry. There were no drugs or drinking involved. He is attending meetings regularly and was great today, but did not take his meds because I wanted him to enjoy the meal.

I called the parents when we got home, told them he was safe, and put my son on the phone to clean up his side of the street. Talked to him about how he could have handled the situation differently. For a not-cool situation, it ended as okay as it could. My son was embarrassed and contrite.

What should consequences be? I do feel that he didn't mean any of this to happen. However, I cannot predict what he will do in any given situation, and that scares me. He needs friends; he needs social interaction. But what happened tonight is discouraging.