View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
ISOHumility

Just got back from a meeting, and my son from his. Geez, two crazy, wonderful peas in a pod.

Thank you, wonderful people, for all the thoughtful comments and advice. I am open to any option that will help my kid graduate high school and salvage his self esteem. If that happens to be cyberschool, that's fine. But I, too, am concerned about the accountability--what motivation does he have to sit at his desk at home?

I am thinking that perhaps he could stay at the alternative school if it's a good fit for him. Or, failing that, the kid definitely needs an IEP. He never needed one before--his natural intelligence carried him through--but I do think he needs one now.

Not having ADHD, I simply do not know what it's like to have to cope with all the studying and "paper." He is an excellent reader, and excellent writer, and very smart, but very unmotivated. I wonder now if that lack of motivation is simply an inability to deal with paper.

Lots of help here, and lots of food for thought. In the meantime, son and I are cool with each other...he had a good meeting, and loves his sponsor. And that is a blessing (whether he thinks so or not).

Thanks again, everyone.