Thread: My own path...
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
vinyl

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
but to suggest that my alcohol consumption is an unknown, at the whim of the impermanence of life and the non-existence of time, is well, for me, just plain inaccurate.
Everything mentioned before this statement rang true for me, until this part. I'm not sure where I may have implied this to be so? I do not agree with this either, so maybe I did not articulate my understanding of impermanence correctly. Again, I think we may be closer in agreement than we are allowing our words to convey. This seems to happen a lot online. I bet if you, myself and Robby were having a cup of coffee together we'd find our paths not that dissimilar.

Alcohol consumption is not an unknown for me. I know I will not be drinking it right now. I have no intention to drink alcohol anymore. However I do not have a big plan to never drink again, as I do not feel I have control over what has yet to pass. It's simply not possible in my understanding of the future.

This does not mean I don't have a practical intention of not drinking. I simply don't add the unnecessary anxiety of believing I can control the vast unknown ahead of me. There's no reason to when I can simply not drink right now. That vast unknown will gradually unfold as each moment passes. I have a sense of humility about my future which keeps me grounded and in the moment. This is my understanding.

Time, like everything is in fact impermanent, moving, changing, evolving. I chose to gracefully allow myself to ride that impermanence and organically evolve along with it, without any trappings of platitudes that suggest I can do this or that "forever."