Thread: My own path...
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 06:52 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
vinyl

Originally Posted by harry101 View Post
Keeping focused on the eternal now is good but we sometimes have to use time for practical purposes, whether it's referring to the past or making plans for the future.

So, I don't agree that we have no control over our futures. We can make a plan and have a certain degree of confidence in sticking to it.

Yes of course, using your watch for practical reasons is part of life. I have a job, I work, I make plans with family, long and short term. However we have to look at the context for which I was referring. I'm speaking about the platitudes of suggesting we have control over forever when it comes to our sobriety and the anxiety it brings many, not all.

For some, like Robby for instance, this concept works and has done wonders. For many others I have spoken to, including myself, this concept brings anxiety and for myself the humility in understanding it would be silly to suggest I have power over time. I do not. And yes, I handle my sobriety moment by moment. As for chocolate, I have cut sugar out of my diet and right now I'm not eating it, and I'm not drinking either. For me, that's success.

Planning for practical reasons is perfectly fine and I never suggested otherwise. I merely pointed out that science dictates what has passed and what is yet to come can not be fully grasped and is in fact not real, therefore to suggest we have control over either is not possible. This is not to suggest you don't have control over your actions right now, you do. And with your practical plans, when those moments arise you can follow through with said plans any way you'd like in that moment.