Thread: My own path...
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Personally, your understanding of AVRT doesn't match mine, but that's not important. I didn't "use" AVRT or double-vowels, or any program per se. It's the idea of fearlessness that changed my life. Sitting with discomfort, pain, fear, anxiety, etc. even inviting it. It's not those things that can hurt me, it's my perception of those things that can hurt me. The teachings of Hahn who says take care of your anger as you would a crying child, the idea of the "monkey mind", the belief that I can master my own mind, that I alone am the "author of my own health or dis-ease", that things are neither "good" nor "bad". These were foreign to me. These are the ideas that have had the most impact on me.

There are huge parallels everywhere...across "programs", across religions and philosophies, that deal with these same concepts. Over and over the same "universal truths" pop up in varied and unexpected places, but sometimes we don't see them because we just can't look past the dogma to see the bits of truth. I have decided these bits don't "belong" to any ideaology. They just are.

It is so exciting to have epiphanies and discover things about myself...so much so that I thought I had carved out this distincive path for myself, like a trail-blazer...come to find out it's actually several thousand years old. Go figure.