Thread: My own path...
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Born in 1957, and at 11 months old, i was in hospital fighting for my survival against poliomyelitis, a viral disease, which can destroy the natural ability of muscle nerves to transmit information, which can lead to permanent paralysis of the infected muscles/nerves. Polio can also be fatal for those who suffer destruction of their essential muscles nerves for breathing, for example. For me, my entire body from head to foot eventually became paralysed, and I was removed from one hospital to another in an effort to save my life. I was saved from being in an iron-lung. With fresh eyes and more informed medical expertise, my polio was arrested, and cured, and i slowly recovered, more or less. I stayed in hospital for over a year, and was returned home just past my second birthday. I recovered with normal use of my arms, less then normal with my left leg, and zero use of my entire right leg.

You can imagine how I felt. The hospital was my home. It was all I really knew. On my return home I promptly suffered separation distress and this eventually developed into full blown attachment disorder which has followed me more or less throughout my life. I have many layers of boundaries around me to this very day, even though I have knowledge of these antiquated defenses, they yet persist, and that is simply the way of it for me. Awareness of my enduring successes is always my best way forward in spite of my overwhelming experiences with personal failures.

Just over two years of combined stints in plaster casts is my experience. Corrective surgeries as orderd my my various orthopediac surgeons throughout my early childhood, mid-childhood, and teen age years. Sometimes things worked well, and progress was achieved with these "corrections." And sometimes, not so much, and I was left worse than I had started. The worst outcome was when i was twelve, and they fused my right hip. This is somewhat detailed in a thread of mine: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rupted-ii.html

I have successfully put all that misery behind me, and I'm now in a very happy place with my medical history. I have finally become an unbroken man, relatively speaking, even though the outlines of my inter-connected puzzel shapes can be still defined, I am so much more than the sums of my distinctive and myriad puzzel ongoing experiences. This has been a long time coming, my recent medical achievement, and I'm grateful I have surpassed my failures with creating new success from the ashes of my miserable past.

Hey, more than you asked for as an answer, I'm sure, lol. Thanks for asking though, Vinyl.