Thread: My own path...
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 06:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ananda

vinyl,

Your post is actually the one I have related to the most in the last few months. I had 7 years sober as a practicer of Soto Buddism which practices Zazen. I only have 3 months now. When I truly stayed centered on the practice of buddhist Zazen I did well and had a good life.

I live in Kansas, in a very concervative town...and I'm truly a Soto Zazen Buddism practicioner (although haven't been "practicing it correctly" for a long time. Most Buddist's here are "god" and "magic" believers. It's been hard to stay connected and my "teacher" who I related to died several years ago. I'm struggling. But your post really keyed in on why I really can't fall in line with the support of AA or AVR or many other forms. And I recomend these programs to many.

I'm not expressing this well, but you gave me a bit of encouragement that I need to look at my own expereince with a critical eye and find the path. I thank you for your post! It's sad to me that SR has so many split out areas. For me sober recovery is about each individual finding a path that works for them. We all have things we can post to help others...whether you are religious or not, 12 step or not, alkie addict or codependant.

What I do know is that I am no different than any other human being on this planet and my human justifications to build up a since of self against or for anything is what ends up causing me pain and short circuts connection and health.

I'm writing this from free flow thought so it probably has errors (Oh my god! I'm human! lol)

Thank you for posting. I feel a kernal of growth toward my path being planted