Thread: Battle Fatigue
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
onlythetruth
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by dybehfar View Post
I was reading your post escapist, and couldn't help remembering a recurring dream I had as a child. I would be running through a jungle or forest while being chased by some sort of lion or other creature. I would run and run until finally I would say I can't take it anymore and would turn around to face whatever was to come. The animal would jump and then disappear and I would be fine.

This is very similar. Like others have said, turn around and face those that chase you and perhaps they too will disappear. I can get very wrapped up in thoughts at times and almost lock up. I feel that this occurs most often when I am alone in my home office. At that point I have to get up and go out or talk with someone, not about alcoholism...just about anything. That seems to break the lockup of thoughts as I have to focus on something else. Distraction perhaps.

When do you feel most concerned about the enemy(metaphorically speaking)? Does it happen in any one circumstance more than another?
I often visualized my situation as being caught on a high cliff. My addiction took the form of wolves barring my exit from the cliff. My only escape was to face the wolves or jump. At first I thought that jumping was the right way to go, "leap of faith" and all that. But after a while, I came to realize that the real solution was to face the wolves. Because when I did, I realized that I put the wolves there myself, and I could make them go away, too.