View Single Post
Old 11-09-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Marcus

Suboxone seems to get a bad rap around here and there is definitely a reason for that, but I also think people who have successfully come off don't necessarily come here to report about it. The people who have stuggled or abused it do. You definitely can't just take suboxone without doing any other kind of support and expect to just walk away. If you get support and do it right and taper slowly once you hit 2mg it can definitely be done without too much discomfort. When you jump off at 6 or 8 mgs of course you are going to feel like crap.

I came off of 8mgs (not really by choice) and the withdrawals were not fun, but they were nowhere near as bad as heroin withdrawals. I was still able to go to work and function, but felt pretty dam terrible and it lasted a bit longer than typical opiate withdrawals.

That being said you need to do some research on your own. Need to get some outside support. Figure out some ways to cope with life that doesn't involve checking out. Personally I think doctors start people on way too high a dose. Suboxone is very strong. That is why you hear of people taking like 1/4 mg and it being enough to hold them. I am not saying doctors should prescribe 1/4mg, but 20mg+ seems crazy to me. I was doing insane amounts of H and 12mg was plenty. It is meant to help with cravings not make you feel out of it. But as always find a doctor you trust. Ask questions. If you don't feel comfortable ask more questions, but of course you need to follow their advice in the end.