View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
vinyl

I'm sure it's already been mentioned but be sure to pick up Dharma Punx and Hardcore Zen. Both books you might be interested in. As for straight edge, I spent my entire teens and twenties in the punk scene, played in a few bands, toured with a few good ones. I was a big Minor Threat guy myself, but was way too into drugs to consider straight edge back then. I always considered myself a punk rocker though, since my very first punk show, seeing Exploited in 1986 and joining in my first mosh pit. It was all down hill from there!

Anyway, I still enjoy a good punk album on my turntable here and there and though I wasn't straight-edge, I can dig me some Minor Threat and Agnostic Front. Not sure how that scene is holding up now, but back in the late 80's, early 90's the scene was pretty strong but unfortunately most SE guys were so self-righteous and arrogant it became a turn off to anyone who just wanted to get sober and find a way out. I mean there was no "getting well" process, it was really militant and some of those dudes took it to crazy extremes. Anyway, if it works for you, that's awesome! You could find a lot worse movements to get involved in for sobriety.

Good luck to you!