View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Delilah1

Your story sounds very much like mine, and the reason I stopped drinking 17 days ago. I am a mother of three and I believe we have the same job.

Work can definitely be stressful, and I always felt that by the end of the day I needed s glass of wine to relax. That glass turned into a bottle, and then a larger bottle. I was up late on a Thursday night stressed about work and life in general and I kept pouring another glass of wine. Around midnight I decided I was calling in sick the next day and going to call my insurance about this. I made an appointment with a therapist and saw a doctor, I cried because I knew that the drinking had gotten so out of hand, and this was not what I wanted for my kids (5,7 and 9).

I decided to tell them a few days later that Mommy decided to stop drinking wine because she wants to be healthier. My oldest said "isn't that going to be hard you drink wine every night." I said "you know what it might be, so if I am grumpy with any of you I need you to tell me." She then told me that her teacher was trying to use a quieter voice, so she had the class come up with a signal for when her voice gets too loud. I asked the kids to come up with a signal for them to use if I am grumpy. My little guy said how about this, and made a frown face. I told them that was perfect.

I also told them that it is okay if they see so done having a glass of wine or a beer if they are grown ups. I compared having too many cookies with having too much wine.

It was difficult to admit that I had a problem, and I am still adjusting to not having wine at night, but I want to be present when I am with my kids.

You will find a ton of advice and support on this site. Good luck, and feel free to message me.