Thread: Friction
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Fastenbulbus

I, for one, am glad I found this place. Even though I continue to go to meetings, even if only for the comedic relief it affords, I began to suffer from cognitive dissonance. There is a mountain of contradictions in the 'program'.

I have been a fan of Albert Ellis and REBT for years, but I wasn't able to integrate REBT into my irrational desire for escapism and my quest for seeking 'truth'.

When I began reading AVRT it all kind of clicked for me, even though I had gotten sober in AA years before. I believe this is from my working with others in the program, and becoming quite frustrated that the steps just weren't working as advertised. Some of the mystery was gone and the magic often proved to be an illusion.

I still enjoy my hourly breaks from the world of men a couple times a week, and in my own way I offer an alternative viewpoint that many fellowships would not tolerate. I often tell some of the newer members that my views are not orthodox and that there is a big difference between getting sober and staying sober.