Old 10-26-2012, 10:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
StarCat
Today is a New Day

Originally Posted by MadeOfGlass View Post
I have been needy in my life at one time and latched onto someone who would be there 24/7 so that I had an emotional safety net.
I've done this before, many times. The most notable occasion was when I picked a long-distance unemployed internet "boyfriend" who was so desperate for some sort of relationship that he'd never leave me. He didn't have a job and spent all his time online so he was available whenever I wanted him to be. He also spent a lot of time telling me about how I was way out of his league, which soothed my highly insecure ego, at least for a time.

I thought it was the most brilliant thing ever.

NOT healthy. But that was something I had to learn for myself.

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl View Post
Every person who comes into our lives teaches us something, even if at the time we are not aware.
Thank you for reminding me of this. I always mention this when I talk about the good I learned from my experiences with XABF (because there really was a lot, and a surprisingly large percentage of it was actually a positive non-whiskey-induced experience, and I'm grateful).

I hadn't thought about it in this situation with my friend, though, and you're right. I'm learning to set healthier boundaries, and I'm learning that I can recognize when something isn't healthy. Doesn't mean I always act in the best way, but I'm acting in better ways and I can see that.

Originally Posted by Cyranoak View Post
This is what you think it is, a codependent person latching on to you in the same way alcoholics do. Look at her as an alcoholic, apply the same rules of engagement, and you'll make the right decisions.

God bless her, but she's got a way to go in Alanon if she is manifesting her codependency upon you, or anybody else in Alanon, this strongly.

Take care,

Cyranoak
Ahh, Cyranoak, always ready with an ice-cold bucket of reality in case anyone needs a wake-up call. Thank you. I was wondering if I was merely overreacting in feeling that way. I felt very much like XABF at the beginning of the height of his addiction was back from the grave for a second attempt.

I told someone from the program last night that right now I'm paranoid about getting too close to anyone friendship-wise right now, and maybe I need a bunch of casual friends who don't know where I live. (Heck, it worked with the boyfriend, we were dating two and a half months before I'd give him my zip code - or spend a holiday with him for that matter. Maybe I need to use that method with friendships for awhile!)

I'm feeling better - thank you everyone for your input, you have no idea how much simply the validation has helped. I still have three voicemails on my phone... She hasn't tried to contact me at all today so I'm thinking maybe now would be a good time to delete the first two (which I know are from her), and listen to the third one to figure out who left it (since I'm not 100% sure that one's from her) before deleting that one too (if it is her).

And I can't wait for that dinner next weekend! Tomorrow (er, technically today, oops!) I'm going out to get some shoes to go with the dress and necklace I bought. I have things I could wear, sure, but it's business suits and cocktail dresses, and I always wanted an excuse to get a REALLY NICE dress. Boyfriend has committed to going - depending on how court goes Monday he may have to ask for a favor, but he's decided that he'll make sure he can make it so I'm especially happy.