View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 04:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

I think in some ways I have grown up, whatever that means, because I see myself more as an 'adult' now, with balance in my life and an increased self awareness and the self control that goes along with that. Like the way grownups are and all.

I sorta expected that part when I pictured myself being sober 15 months ago first starting out, but there are aspects to this new life that I did not expect. I often hear an honest belly laugh coming from a new place I did not have before, and a more spiritual appreciation for small joys and the beauty that is all around. I am much calmer and slower to anger now, and I appreciate that we all have our challenges and that we are each of us trying to get through our day.

Underlying this is something much bigger for me, and that is self confidence. I decided to quit drinking and I did it. I made this vow to myself and kept it. From all directions, I had been told you can't just quit, you can't do it by yourself, you are going to fail repeatedly, you need to do this, you need to do that. Those people were wrong.

I have learned that my true limitations are only those that I choose for myself to accept. Since I have kicked this addiction, what else can I achieve? That is a wonderful feeling.