View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
interrupted

When I'm paralyzed by inaction due to fear, depression, anger, etc. I do something that I once heard referred to as "throwing one leg over the fence" - I take a simple, small step, that will make it difficult for me to not follow up with more steps in that direction. The idea is that once you start over the fence you have to pick a side, you can't just stay up there straddling the fence forever without discomfort, so you are essentially forced to act in some fashion.

What I did with my recovery initially when I was isolating was to make an appointment with a therapist. I made an appointment request for some unknown time in the future, nothing immediate or threatening, and I even contacted her by email - didn't even have to use the phone. I made an appointment request. Once she called back to set up the appointment I was halfway over the fence, so I set the time up - and then I had to make my appointment, after all, I had set one up and she had reserved space, etc. I was on my way. But it all started with a simple email that I sent anonymously from my computer, one tiny three-minute action.

I do this for less serious things, too. I put on my gym clothes and my running shoes in the morning. Now I can go to the gym or run, or I can go up and take my sports bra off and change into normal clothes, admitting defeat after having done nothing. I've done that before. The choice is still mine, I just try to put myself in a position where I will make the choice that I know is best for me.

Maybe you could make plans to attend a meeting with someone you know who will also be there, or someone who you know will ask you about how your meeting went. Or make plans to meet up with someone for coffee at a cafe right near the meeting location, for the hour right before the meeting, so that you're already next door when the meeting starts. Or maybe you can send out an email inquiring about the meeting schedule or meeting details to initiate contact. Any small thing can work, as long as it gets one leg over that fence. If you fall back off onto this side of the fence, that's okay too, we're here!