Thread: Friction
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Fandy

I don't think that using AA for a social outlet would be helpful for me. to me it's very depressing. i'm not an uncompassionate person by nature, but all the repetition, constant despiration doesn't work for me. I do remember what it was like to be drinking heavily and feeling depressed, I'm very grateful to be sober (and i practice this everyday). but why continue to re-live the drunk episodes 24/7. truthfully that just makes me want to drink sometimes.

i've been occupying my free time with things i did not do while drinking....my home, exercise, gardening ( i have a never-ending rockwall i've landscaped my gardens myself except for the heavy work)...i've shouldered a lot of the burdens with family issues that my brother did for so long..it makes me feel GOOD to do fun things....i have family that has forgiven me and we are reconnecting.
I am also trying to learn to "age" gracefully and take care of my health/body. all good things.

i don't want to sit in a room for an hour and lament how bad/desperate it was every day/week/ blahblahblah....
but it doesn't mean i won't help anyone either. i just do it differently.
I'm very new to reading secular sections....to be honest i wasn't even sure what you guys did.....( iwas thinking double-bubble toil and trouble at one point, lol).
but i seem to really identify with you all here, except i don't consciously practice AVRT, but i like reading about it and it just makes sense to me.

back later, the appraiser is coming and i gotta clean up the house...another plus in sobriety, i am paying attention to mortgage rates and got my own reduced.