Thread: Friction
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 06:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Charon

Glad AA seems to help. It didn't for me. There is a meeting I very occasionally go to to see a couple of people but it's less and less frequent because of the strict dogma. There are other things I do much more frequently for social interaction. For example, I belong to a scuba club. Meetings once a month, some communal dives over the spring through fall, some weekend (or more) camping/diving trips, and a yearly trip to somewhere warm.

Do you have any interests (don't need to be skilled - just a novice's interest) that there might be local clubs for? Do you like to play vollyball, soccer, softball, etc. There are usually recreational and more organized opportunities almost everywhere. Do you like archery, shooting, fishing? There are fish and game clubs almost everywhere as well. How about flying radio controlled helicopters or airplanes? Rockets? Hiking? Mountain bikiing? Kayaking? There are clubs and the ability to hook up with others with similar interests. Reading? - there are book clubs. Check your local newspaper's community calendar to find these opportunities.

Another approach would be volunteering - local librarys, senior centers, hospitals, not-for-profits are always looking. I found that making AA my social outlet to be extremely limiting and essentially unsatisfying. Finding secular groups works for me.