View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Tuffgirl

My Best Friend Died Today

She died of alcoholic cirrhosis. She turned 40 in the hospital, one week before the doctors told her there was nothing more they could do for her. She was released into hospice care, and died 6 days later, in her parents home, surrounded by people who loved her dearly.

Today has been a day of sorrow and reflection, but also a time to appreciate life. Yes, she was an alcoholic. Yes, it killed her in the end. But she was also a daughter, sister, mother, friend. Before the disease took hold, she was fun, energetic, successful, and fiercely independent. I am so grateful that I got the chance to tell her that I loved her, one last time. Her influence in my life over the last 25 years has shaped the person I am today.

When I first came here to SR, I didn't have a clue just how powerful and dangerous this disease is. I thought it was easy - just quit drinking - and go on with your life. Today I understand.

Rest in peace now, my friend. And my prayers to all of you out there tonight, fighting the battle of your life. May you learn a lesson from this - and not take your days for granted.